10.17.2011

Nothing's ever easy

This is erica. I'm sick. In a if-this-were-eighty-years-ago-id-be-dying-of-tuberculosis type of sick. Or so I keep thinking. Anyway. Nothing's ever easy, eh??

Right now I'm watching my Brewers tank. Boo. (if they win tonight while I'm asleep, I'll enjoy the taste of crow in the morning, don't you worry).

I have parent-teacher conferences as a parent of my 5th grader this week. And parent-teacher conferences as a parent of my kindergartner and as a teacher of 14 preschooolers the following week. B.U.S.Y. With a capital, um, B.U.S.Y.

I decided to take on an edgy YA that's been nigging at my mind for the past several months. It's sad and dark and makes me cry. But man, this character needs to tell her story. I can only hope to do it well.

Thank goodness, christy helped me think of something easy. She and I have been channelling recipes lately. Seriously, if one of us says we're making something for dinner, the other one is already making the same thing. It's uncanny. Today, she gave me the website for crockpot recipes and said she already had one in. And guess what? So did I!! Without any recipes, since mine was simple pot roast with carrots and potatoes.

It's almost winter. you know you want the link. Here it is. Enjoy something easy in this crazy world: http://getcrocked.com/category/mains/

8 comments:

  1. Yes, this time of year is busy. I just had teacher conferences for my daughter last week. The crockpot can be really helpful for cooking during the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am thinking of you. Hope you feel better and good luck with conferences. I love dark YA, but yes, they do leave terrible large holes in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely relationship that brings you both a lot of pleasure.

    My book Candle Dark is an historical/fictional account of a Victorian child - pit pony driver in a mine.
    However as the mine is part of an open air museum, there are five of them in the birth place of industry not far from me, and the sites are used each day for numerous school study visits, the book sells and the children enjoy it, are interested and they don't notice the history they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! Crockpot recipes is somethign I can get behind! I hate cooking, but I have gotten stuck with 4 nights a week. If I can throw it all in a pot in the morning, and be DONE when I get home, I'd be very happy.

    I hope you feel better fast! And your story sounds WONDERFUL! (Wanna do it for NaNoWriMo?--you could rebel, even if it's already started)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better!

    I love it when a dark YA story springs into existence. Not because I like suffering or whatevs but, I guess, because often they feel like they have the most meaning and power. They do leave you feeling heavy though, after a while.

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you're sick! :( But congrats on the great new story idea, that's excellent! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. right! You guys are doing the crock-pot recipes. Very cool. Hope you're feeling better soon~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay I found it.
    I remember you guys mentioned it on twitter and I've been looking for the link. With me being sick all the time and husband not being the cooking type I hope this crock-pot thing will save me.

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.