1.04.2017

#IWSG (on my birthday!) My Constant Battle...

My Constant Battle with the Clock
and All That I Must Learn


It's super hard to believe that it's already time for another IWSG post. I'm not sure what happened between Halloween and now, but Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's flew by in half a flash.  

One of my biggest insecurities right now is lack of time. All writers, all people, have that same problem, I know, and for the most part I think I handle my time well. I prioritize my mental to-do list, get the most important items checked off and make my way down the list without getting overwhelmed too often. But as a writer, there's always so much more to do, and with a full-time job, three kids, other family, and a house to take care of, I'm struggling to keep up with what I see other writers accomplishing. There's always so much more to learn, and the thing that's blowing my mind is that I'm adding to that list every day, which means, what I thought I had to learn yesterday increases ten-fold each and every day, so even when I cross items to research and accomplish off that list, it only continues to grow...never, ever does it diminish.

The best I can do, that we can all do, is to keep making those lists, to continue learning, to continue growing, and to continue giving all that we undertake our all. I can only do so much each day, and I think I'm managing to balance work, family, and writing. I do hope to get more miles in this year. Running has fallen by the wayside a little bit and my body is unhappy for it. I recently joined a 500 mile group, so the goal is to run 500 miles this year. Once the weather got frigid (I live in Wisconsin) my quick, daily, 2-mile outdoor runs took a hike. And, since running is where I do my best scene, character, and dialogue brainstorming, figuring out how to get back into a daily running schedule will help me in two areas.

Another major insecurity is waiting to find out how readers enjoy my first book. Today is my 40th birthday and the official release day of my pen name's young adult paranormal novel. Waiting for sales and reviews is both exciting and worrisome. Then, there's also the deadlines to complete the next books in the series!

I'm contemplating gifting myself a day or two off in the next month or so!  And now that I'm sitting here scrambling to write this post for you, I'm wishing I'd gifted myself a day off on my birthday! (But, as a teacher, that often means more work...sub plans...and I wasn't feeling up to it!) Soon!

I'd ask for tips on how to balance life and writing, but I think I most need to set and stick to a schedule and stay off the internet during those set writing times. 

Set. A. Schedule.
Stick...to it.

This will work for all the balls I juggle each and every day!

Now...to do it!

The question for today: January 4 Question: What writing rule do you wish you’d never heard?

I don't think I can name one. I'm glad I've learned all that I have, and if I've unlearned any along the way, then that was a learning point also. I'm interested to hear what the rest of you said for this though!

Have a wonderful month writing friends!

Christy


If you're new to IWSG, the details about it are below:


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG

Every month, we announce an optional question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

The awesome co-hosts for the January 4 posting of the IWSG are Eva @ Lillicasplace, Crystal Collier, Sheena-kay Graham, Chemist Ken, LG Keltner, and Heather Gardner!


16 comments:

  1. I think your struggle to fit in writing when working full-time, being a mom, and having household duties is one that many of us struggle with too. I think you just have to do what you can and not beat up on yourself because there is more to life than work, like exercise, relaxing, etc. Recognize that you will have more time when your kids grow up and your time with them is precious. Good luck with the juggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Happy Birthday! Congrats on your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do think I do a good job of taking time to relax when I need to and spend time with my kids, though they have made comments about me and my laptop... :(

      Delete
  3. OMGosh, Christy!!! I just watched your book trailer last night and was like "Wow, I love this!" I didn't even realize it was you! Did you create your gorgeous cover? And what about your trailer. Did you create that? Just wonderful. Happy Book Birthday! And if you're interested in doing any promo on Writer's Alley just let me know. You are more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are so SWEET! Yes, I did. I created my cover and the trailer. Thank you so much. I'd love to do some promo on Writer's Alley. I'd be honored! <3 I appreciate you stopping by and your kind words so very much. You've always been so supportive. Christy

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday and happy release day! Sorry, I missed that it was today. (Been out of the loop over the holidays.)
    Maybe you'll get a treadmill for your birthday. Don't blame you for not running outside.
    Congratulations and happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No worries. I appreciate you stopping by. I have no idea how you do all you do!

      Delete
  5. Waiting for reader reactions is always difficult. Happy release day and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yeah, writing broke my brain. Or I should say, publishing. Before that, I could keep track of everything mentally and rarely had to write anything down. Or maybe it was the 4th baby that broke the brain... *shrugs* One day a time, eh? Speaking of which, I hope yours is EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you--it never feels as though we have enough time. We're always racing against the clock, trying to find those extra seconds each day to write. It helps to realize this business is a marathon, not a sprint, and we have our whole lives to do this. We just need to do a little each day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time? What's that??? Unfortunately, the more I have, the more I fritter away. So glad to you have on my blog. Best wishes on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's the truth too! Thanks for having me!!!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday! I think you're doing great that you can manage to keep everything going and do a 500 miles year run too. Ever since I got into the final edit and then promoting the release of my book, I stopped writing for 6 months, then I stupidly thought promos and interviews would stop when the book came out. Ha! Now it's been out 3 months and I realized I'll never write again unless I stop promoing. I love the look of your book, I hope your tour goes awesome, and I also hope you do much better than me finding time to write the next ones in your series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the five hundred miles has yet to be completed...ha! YES. The promos and blog stuff takes all the time! I read somewhere recently to write first thing...and do that stuff second thing...so I should write when I wake up and do the promo stuff before bed. Of course, I just woke up and I'm here....so I don't follow the advice I give! Thank you very much! And I hope you find yourself, make yourself, some time to write!

      Delete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.